The Wise Latina Club: The Manifesto
From the Latin “manifestare”: to make public.
Related to the verb “manifest”: to display or show; appear; become apparent; prove.
The Wise Latina Club is blogging herself into existence. Actually, it’s been here centuries, before Al Gore “invented the internet”.
- Infinite grace and unshakable faith manifest by a Wise Latina like La Virgen María.
- Permission granted by Isabel la Católica to explore new trade routes and change the course of history with the discovery of America.
- Military strategy translated by La Malinche, indigenous lover of Spanish Conquistador Hernán Cortés who conquered Mexico, a territory that included more than half the United States.
- Lullabies lovingly sung by Mamis–blood mothers and stand-in moms.
- Common sense shared by generations of aunts and amigas.
This Blog-firmation/Blog-idation counters the mass media representation of Latinas as one-dimensional stereotypes:
- Latina as Maid.
- Latina as Spitfire.
- (Wise) Latina as Reverse Racist Activist.
The Wise Latina Club is more than this.
The Wise Latina Club captures the richness, depths, and range of who we are:
- career women
- street smart
The Wise Latina Club speaks her mind on different topics such as:
- current events
- aging parents
Our Latina look offers solutions that speak to us: how our immigrant values can be used to grow our money; how to care for aging Papis when sticking them in a nursing home is a last resort; and what to do when your Gringo honey says potato and you say papa.
- Define so you can re-define.
- Appear in all your manifestations. Show the world that being complex doesn’t mean being complicated.
- Prove that at once you can be one, and all.
- Declare that these are your principles and that you are a member of The Wise Latina Club.