Summer‘s arrival means it is finally (!!) time to lose the heavy coats and change out closets. For the consummate fashionista, the new season is as much about looking good as it is staying cool. Whether your style is sophisticated goddess or bright sunbeam, stocking up on the right items will keep you looking fab all the way to Labor Day.
The perfect summer wardrobe combines comfy basics (such as t-shirts and tanks tops), popular trends, and statement pieces that highlight your own flare. As an avid thrifter, I know great clothes can be found at a variety of places and price points. Shopping for those items that are sure to turn heads can be both fun and adventurous.
Aundrea’s Must-Haves for a Fashionable Summer
- Three trusty pairs of sandals: Summer is the ultimate toes-out season and one can never have too many sandals. Purchasing three distinctive styles will get you through the season: (a.) The high heeled sandal-this year I went with platform espadrilles to add the sass and class to both formal and casual outings; (b.) The low or no heel sandal such as edgy gladiators are always on my list. However, any flat sandal comfortable enough to wear all day long will do the trick; (c.) The tried and true cheapie: basic flip-flops are great because they always complete an adventure to the beach and are never too expensive to replace.
- The signature bathing suit: What is summer without plenty of time at the pool? Thus, the perfect bathing suit is a must. High-waisted bikinis, bold bohemian patterns, and the classic mix-n-match are hot trends this year. For my signature suit I went bright. I found the perfect fluorescent bikini for my upcoming trip to the Caribbean.
- Dresses galore: During summertime I love a good dress. Much like my sandals, I pick up three styles to cover any occasion. This generally includes short sundresses, a jazzy maxi, and mid-length tea dresses (great for summer dates!). Hint: You can always spice up a basic dress with fun accessories like hats, necklaces, or big bangles.
- Comfy workout clothes: Even in the heat (that’s why Atlanta’s nickname is Hotlanta!) I plan to keep up with my workouts. This means finding breathable materials that don’t skimp on style. For inspiration for your workout attire, check here.
- Tote-worthy luggage: If you are like me, you probably have a few trips planned this summer. Luggage that makes a statement (and easy packing) will put the cherry on top off a sweet vacation. Hint: I forgo big bulky bags, checked-luggage fees, and waiting at baggage claim. I opt for functional carry-ons and overnights, so I am always ready to roll and never miss a moment of my trip.
With the season just underway, there is still time to grab the essential items that no fashionista can be without this year. When building your summer wardrobe just remember diversity is key and style can definitely equal comfort. As long as you feel good in what your wearing, you really can’t go wrong.
An education policy wonk at the Georgia Center of Opportunity, Aundrea Gregg holds a Master’s degree in Social Policy and Planning from the London School Of Economics and a Bachelor’s in Classical Civilizations and Political Science from Howard University. She also is a nail painting enthusiast and writer living in Atlanta, GA. Connect with Aundrea on Twitter or Google+.
Edited by: Viviana Hurtado, Ph.D.What’s your summer style?