Meatless Monday: Fresh Vegetable and Hummus Sandwich Recipe
With a few meatless Monday recipes under your belt, it’s easy to skip the carne at home with a full pantry close by. But how about when you raced out the door and are standing in line at the cafetería?
Go back to your New Kids on the Block lunch pail and pack a meatless sandwich.
¿Cómo? Meat is usually the staple of my sandwich, what will I put on it?
Don’t worry, passing on the cold cuts doesn’t mean you’re limited to PB&J or grilled cheese. Mix and match your favorite spreads and veggies for endless variations and flavors.
What’s usually in my lunchbox?
This fresh vegetable and hummus sandwich:
Fresh Vegetable and Hummus Sandwich Recipe
- 1/4 Diced Onion
- Green Bell Pepper
- Sliced Almonds
- 100% Whole Grain Bread
- Mash avocado and mix in onion.
- Spread avocado mix on one slice of bread, hummus on the other.
- Top with tomatoes and peppers and sprinkle with almonds.
- Combine and enjoy!
I love that this sandwich is full of raw vegetables that are not only naturally flavorful, but also high in nutrients and a great source of energy, as I explain in Meatless Monday: One Day of Raw Food Recipes.
Keep any sammie healthy and delicious by sticking to these guidelines:
The Wise Latina Club Healthy Sandwich Must-Haves
- 100% whole grain breads: Check the label to be sure your loaf is whole grain, which is higher in fiber, vitamins, and protein than white bread and will keep you energized for longer. Read more about the healthiest bread options here.
- Healthy spreads: Hold the mayo to cut fat. I love to add flavor, texture, and nutrients with hummus, guacamole and pesto.
- Colorful fruits and veggies: Did you know a “rainbow of foods”–those with different colors are packed with different nutrients? Pile on the greens and reds and yellows to experiment with texture and flavor while reaping health benefits: I add hot peppers like jalapeños and serranos to give my lunch a kick, and apples or dried cranberries when I want a sweet touch.
- Go easy on the cheese: Queso is high in fat and calories. 1-2 slices is enough to add flavor to your meal without adding inches to your waistline.
Inspired to pack a lunch every day? Try some of these 19 vegetarian sandwich recipes.
The key to success in any diet is to have healthy foods on hand.
Keep a veggie sandwich in tow and eat meatless all day. With meals this healthy, convenient, and delicious, you may find yourself ditching the meat more days than Monday.
¿Need Meatless Monday inspiration? Click here to read recipe ideas.
A teacher by day, The Wise Latina Club’s Natalie Wagner Fierro is the co-founder of the Institute for Student Health. She equally loves food (cooking or dining in Washington’s restaurants) and burning calories by distance running, practicing yoga, and archery. Click here to read more about and connect with Natalie.
What veggie options are in your lunchbox?